Sunday, October 12, 2008

Newbies

First time events are always the most difficult to manage. I go to meetings to make sure everyone is on the same page so when race day comes there are no surprises. Race numbers are assigned, tee shirts are separated for pre and day of event, volunteers are pouring water, safety pins are available, awards are organized, and a course map is posted. At last Wednesday nights Inaugural Delaware Tech 5k on the Riverfront my volunteer crew was outstanding. Everything i asked was taken care of prior to my getting to the registration area. What a pleasure this race was to handle. I was able to walk around and chat with the runners and walkers and do what i love to do....take photos. My goal is always to have nothing to do race day. The less I have to do the better I have done my job. I would say that means to delegate and when it goes right everyone benefits. The photo that I have with this blog are two of the 5 runners who joined me in 1996 to run the Team in Training Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Eddie Osienski and Sharon Mossman. Both of them were at the 5k to support Del Tech. It was fun for me to chat with them and catch up. The six of us who went to Alaska to run raised over $36,000 for TNT. And we had a fabulous time together. More on that later......so if you see me hanging out not doing much at my events.....smile.....I may just take your picture.