Monday, June 28, 2010

Daily Double

We had a very busy weekend and the weather could not have been hotter. On Saturday we were at Joe's Crab Shack for the 4th Race for Time 5k starting at 8:30 am. At 9:45 we were set to time and manage the Inaugural Education Fund 5k also on the Riverfront at the Overlook Pavilion next to AAA. Two races with in 2 hours both on the riverfront both using different routes and both being chip timed. Whew. Why the daily double? Because the second event was tied into a fund raiser starting at 11 am at Jr. Achievement across the river. I really tried to talk these folks out of staging a 5k starting so late. Heat is always an issue. But they decided to take the chance. So the Race for Time starts and I head to the mile mark to give splits and set up the starting line for the second race which is near the mile mark. From there I go over to the Overlook Pavilion to help staff member Jon Clifton with set up of the second 5k. At the same time my wife Barb is managing the Race for Time. Once done setting up the second race registration I head back on the course and move the one mile marker for the second race one mile mark and then move the 2 mile marker to the new 2 mile mark. I also set up a new turn around at Frawley stadium for the second race and make sure all vols and water stop are in place. I then head back to Joe's Crab Shack and watch the tail end of the walkers come in. My chip timing team is now ready to go. My data entry team was imputing race day entries for the second race and this second race starts on time while my wife Barb is announcing the awards for the first race. One hot busy day to say the least. My team did a fabulous job. Both events were successful and many who ran the first race ended up running the second race too. Would I do this again.....No way....! One a day is enough.