Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Footloose and Carefree

I had a good laugh the other day at my Highway One Group 10k held in Dewey. I was in the chute tearing tags when this young kid comes through the chute and hands me his tear off tag. I looked at his feet and he was wearing a pair of those 5 finger (toe) Vibram shoes. I asked him what he thought of them and he said, "love em." Ok.....so this new best selling book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (who is from Lancaster, Pa) is getting folks thinking about barefoot running. I have no problem with this since I remember when I was in high school getting in shape for the upcoming football season part of my training was running on the beach barefoot. I loved it. At the Westside Health 5k held a few weeks ago I had a runner run bare foot. I asked him how it felt to run a 5k in bare feet. "Painful" was his answer. Just something he wanted to try after reading the BOOK. So for you folks looking for something different try going barefoot. Look at all the money you will save on running shoes.