Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tees and counting....

So many tees? I would think so if you run many events. I for one have plenty. I use certain tees for certain types of activities. Dri Release tees for my hot yoga class. Under Armour type tech shirt for walking. And for hanging out I wear my special tees that i do nothing in but wear out on the town. At our DE Marathon last year Betty Olmstead collected unused tees from runners to give to kids in Africa. Her donation box was overflowing. OK.....so you don't really want another tee and you would rather pay a few bucks less in entry fees to run the race. I have no problem with this but the sponsors who support the event do. We always make sure to give sponsors enough shirts to give to staff and friends. They want to see folks wear their shirts and promote their company. For some 5k's this summer I will be doing tote bags rather than tees. Cost is the same and the totes are great to take to the beach. Charities that hire us look for us to make suggestions on what makes a race better. I always bring up the idea of no tee option but not once has a group agreed to this option. I may be race director but it is not my decision to cut fees with out tees.