Sunday, April 4, 2010

Our next step....

I was watching a Southwest Airline commercial during the Final Four games on TV. They sure do a great job of promoting NO Baggage fees. Other airlines first bag $25, second bag $35 etc. I fly Southwest but that is only one of the reasons. The other is customer service and friendly staff. Now why would I even discuss this on a blog? I was thinking about what chip timing companies charge for chips. A disposable chip costs .40 each. We get a credit for returned chips. So the total cost for disposable chips for a 1700 person race is around $680. When using our IPICO chip to time races we do not charge for chips used. We only charge for chips lost. Cost is $1.75 each. For a 1700 person race I would estimate we would loose maybe 25 chips. Cost is $43.75 or a savings of $636 for the events charity. Our next step with our IPCIO chip timing is to have splits at all our events. An example would be mats at the one mile mark for 5k's, the 3.1 mile mark for 10k's, 5 mile mark for ten milers, and a split at a distance to be determined at a half marathon. Also new is the ability we have to email you or text you your time after the race is over. Our goal is to have results posted on my website ten minutes after the final finisher crosses the line. Folks ask me why i decided to go with the IPICO chip rather than the disposable chip. My answer is, "the IPICO chip is disposable but it is up to the organization to decide if this is something they want to pay for or do they want to recycle the chips and save money." So just like Southwest Airlines.....we are offering cheaper ways to chip time events with friendly customer service. My team is ready to go!