Thursday, June 19, 2008

Family affair

One of the most rewarding parts of being in the "race directing" business are the folks you meet. And after 31 years of race directing I have met my fair share. One of my greatest pleasures is to see couples who ran in my races years ago now showing up and running with their kids. One such instance was at this past Saturday's 8th Annual Miles for Molly 5k at Dead Presidents in Wilmington. Dan Frydrych came up to the day of registration table I was working at with his wife Wendy and 15 year old daughter Emily. Dan and Wendy were competitive runners back before Emily was born. Now daughter Emily is joining them.....how cool is that. Dan won the male 50-59 age group in 18:54 a 6:06 pace and Emily placed placed 2nd in the 14-18 age group in 23:51 a 7:42 pace. The Miles for Molly 5k continues to be one of my favorite events to manage. Liz and RT Christopher have raised over $100,000 in the last 8 years from this event. Proceeds go to the Children's Beach House in Lewes. And that is what this is all about. See you at the races.