Saturday, January 23, 2010

one hip guy......

Last April 17th I had my left hip replaced. I was at the point where once I sat down in a chair I could not get up with out severe pain. My rehab went better than I expected. I was back doing hot yoga in 5 1/2 weeks and playing golf in 6 1/2 weeks. Running was out of the question but I would take 3 mile walks with Barb. In late summer Barb and I were walking down the boardwalk in Rehoboth when I started to noticed pain going from my right groin down my leg into my knee. I mentioned this to Barb and said I would give it a wait and see before I would call my orthopedic. By end of October I was in pain again. Pain like a constant tooth ache in the groin to knee area. I went to my orthopedic (Dr. Steve Dellose) who took an x-ray and told me that I was stage 3. Stage 4 is the worst. I went to Diagnostic Imaging and got an injection which helped ease the pain. But again this only lasts for so long. Back to the doctor. This time I decided it was time to replace the other hip. So on March 5th I will once again go through another surgery and then start my rehab. My team is ready to handle my JCC Snowball run and the Logan House 5k. I should be able to be at the Caesar Rodney Half most likely using a cane to get around. I hope to be 100% by mid April when the running season goes into full swing. Was it all the marathons I use to run? The contact sports like football and Rugby I use to play? Or the golf that I try to plan now? Who knows.....all I know is that I am ready to get my life back. For those who are thinking about hip or knee replacements my words of advice would be, "don't put it off." Pain sucks.....