Thursday, May 20, 2010

Something has to give....

I am still sorting through all the emails i have received this week from our DE Marathon. I am averaging about 80 to 130 a day. Folks looking for awards, finishers certificates, lost and found, personal notes and of course complaints. I answer each and every one. I was at the turn around waiting for Mike Wardian to come by when I got the call that lead biker Doug White took a spill and was rushed to the hospital. I felt so bad about this accident and needed answers. Doug fractured his arm in two places and is in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks. We spoke later that day and I asked him what happened. He said he was leading Wardian down Kentmere and runners were coming up toward him and he was yelling at them to move out of the way. " These folks could not hear me due to the fact that they were wearing I-pods or similar." "I got squeezed in and hit the curb and went down." When i was at the intersection of Martin Luther King Blvd and S. Market Street where marathon runners bear right and relay and half bear left I too was yelling at folks to make sure they went the right way. It was like they were all deaf. Sign language may have worked better. I will have to reconsider allowing headphones in next years event. Accidents happen but when you can't hear instructions something has to be done about it.