Sunday, May 9, 2010

A view from the back

At the 14th Iron Hill Brewery Race Against Family Violence 5k held this past Saturday I did something that I have not done in over 12 years. I actually participated as a walker in this 5k. I just decided that my staff was very capable of handling this event. EdJaH Chip Timing Systems had all aspects of registration and finish line scoring taken care of and my wife Barb was with me to manage the event. The Girl Scouts handled the water stop and Child Inc. vols were on the route as course marshalls. I did chalk out the route earlier in the morning and worked with the security of U of DE and Newark Police to make sure all was ok on their end. My goal was to walk the 5k in 47 minutes. I was really not in a hurry and had a blast cheering the runners and walkers and taking photos along the way. As I approached the finish line the clock was ticking down to 47:00.....I crossed the finish line in 47:02. So close but wait....my chip time gave me a time of 46:56. Cool! Not bad for a guy with two new hips. I am already planning on walking another of my races soon.