Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It is an itis thing......

We have all had it. Tendinitis, bursitis, and maybe even arthritis. Achillies tendon, elbow, wrist, knees. Not much to do about it except stretch, ice, and Advil. But in severe cases you get help. I have not run in 3 months now. I have a serious case of one of the itis in my left hip. I went to my orthopedic Dr. Steve Dellose who took an x-ray. I am not bone on bone and still have cartilage so that is good. It really is painful to get out of my car or from behind my desk. I have to grin and bear it as my hip pops back into place. Not good. I asked the doc if an injection would help. "Not yet" was his answer. I asked him if I would eventually need a new hip. "Not yet" he answered. Plus the doc said "NO running." My comment back was, "I can barely walk let alone run." So now what? He sent me to physical therapy. I decided to go to Elite PT at their new location at the JCC on Garden of Eden Road. Jimmy Hashimoto or Hash has been working with me. He is awesome! I am dedicated to getting better and have been doing stretch exercises daily. I have been able to ride a stationary bike. I tried walking but the next day i was really sore. Yoga has been my salvation. I go to Empowered Yoga on Penna. Ave. I had a streak of 19 days in a row. I take the hour class week days and the hour and half class either Saturday or Sunday. To me it is like a long run on the weekend. If it was not for my hip i would say i have never felt better. My weight is down 10 lbs. I gave up vodka and bread. I go back to Dr. Dellose on the 16th. I guess I will find out more at that time.