Monday, March 2, 2009

Wall of Shame

On my last day of vacation in Ft. Myers, Fla. I went to the Twins -Yankees spring training game. I called the box office two weeks prior to purchase a ticket to the game. I was told that this game was totally sold out. OK.....I decided to go to the game and take my chance purchasing a ticket from a scalper. I was able to find a ticket ($20) 12 rows from the field between home plate and first base. Great seats. I sat down next to a guy wearing a Yankee tee shirt. Don't get me wrong but I am not a Yankee fan. He started to chat with me and I asked him how he got his ticket since the game was sold out. He would not answer my question and rattled on about the Ranger hockey game the night before. Ten minutes later two guys enter our row and find this guy sitting in one of their seats. He apologized and jumped over the row of seats in front of us and sat down in another unused seat. Five minutes later he had to move again since that person showed up. On and on it goes. It kind of reminds me of those who show up at registration and swear they sent in their race application with check. I give them the benefit of the doubt and have them fill out a day of race form. We write CHECK IN THE MAIL on the entry. We also get a phone number and address. I would say that 9 out of 10 times we do get the race entry in the mail. But every once in a while I have to call or write to these folks to get paid. Some do not return my calls while others have given me disconnected phone numbers. If I listed their names I would call it the "Wall of Shame." I guess it just bothers me that some folks have to lie. If you have difficulty paying an entry fee just see me at registration. We do our best to work with you to allow you to run in our events.