Friday, February 27, 2009

Don't Assume.....

I enjoy writing my blog and I also enjoy the comments that I receive. My latest blog titled "up and up" had many responses. Some online and many emailed directly to me. I would ask those who respond not to ASSUME you know all the answers. Lets start with entry fees.....I DO NOT set the entry fees for the organizations that hire us. I only SUGGEST what they should charge for their 5k's. When talking about routes you can not assume that we run the same routes all the time. We try not to reinvent the wheel due to permiting and costs. We have multiple routes at Rockford Park and usually try and run the flat route. We have numerous routes on the Riverfront and try to run either Dravo Plaza route or Overlook Pavilion route which are both fast and flat and usatf certified. What you may or may not realize is that there is a City of Wilm. ordinance that does NOT allow us to run on Kentmere Parkway. We were able to Grandfather in our oldest events. The CR Half, Icicle Run and Run walk for MS. When talking about groups that take over events such as Miles for Molly I was contacted by them to get this race organized for Childrens Beach House in Lewes, DE. I suggested Dead Presidents as host and set up a new route for this 5k starting and finishing at Dead Presidents. Miles for Molly is a great event with a fabulous organization behind it. The Logan House 5k is another example of folks assuming that this race is great because of the organization behind it. Let me clue you in....Parkinson Fdn. the beneficiary provides NO help for this event. They are the beneficiary. My wife and i recruit vols (some paid) and we handle all aspects of this 5k from tee shirts to sponsors to awards to permits to management and timing. As for Mimi's 5k the organization is once again fabulous....They hire us to time and manage this 5k for DE Hospice. We run the same route that all other races run from the Overlook Pavilion. We only use Harry's for registration. I always say that we are only as good as the folks that hire us. So please do not assume you have all the answers. You may have some but promise.....you do not know what goes on behind the scenes. Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns you may have.