Saturday, December 19, 2009

Running in the snow......

Today (12-19) we are getting over a foot of snow. I went to yoga class this morning. I live 2 blocks from the yoga studio so I have no excuse when the weather is bad. As I walked home I could not help but think about the old days when i was in training for a marathon and how I would run in weather like this. I will never forget a snow storm back in 1979. I was training for our Minuteman Delaware Marathon to be held the first Sunday in March. I was scheduled to run for two hours but had second thoughts after a serious snow storm. So what was one to do? Back then i use to live above my running shoe store at 623 Delaware Ave across the street from the old O'Friels Irish Pub. On the other side of the street was a cemetery. The loop inside the cemetery was plowed. The iron door gate is always open so I got my two hour run in by doing loops around the cemetery. I got to admit....it was spooky but also quiet and in a weird way beautiful. I am sure you too have some interesting stories about running in the snow.....feel free to share them with me. Time to go shovel the walk way.