Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Days

Tonight is a special occasion for Barb and I. Twenty years ago we staged the Inaugural Ronald McDonald House of DE 5k. This 5k took place during the construction of the Ron McD House. The start and finish was on Rockland Road where the House now stands. Barb was on the first Ronald McD board and she contacted me about staging a 5k as a fundraiser for the house. Little did I know that that conversation would eventually change my life. Barb kept calling and calling and soon enough I realized that she was a special lady. I remember telling a good friend of mine, "if I don't marry this women I am out of my mind." So on the opening night of the Ronald House of Delaware I asked Barb to marry me. That was June 7th 1991. On November 2nd we got married in the living room of the Ronald House and the rest is history. We picked that date because Penn State was playing an away game in football. Tonight marks the 20th Anniversary of our first 5k fundraiser. We both use to volunteer every Tuesday night at the house and to this day we stay involved. This will be the first year I will miss the race due to my surgery. Beside my Barbie I believe Ralph McKinney will mark his 20th consecutive Ron McD 5k. This years 5k is back on the grounds of the duPont Hospital for Children. For those running and walking tonight just a note that you folks really do make a difference. Barb and I thank you for your support.