Saturday, April 11, 2009

Surfing

What a crappy day outside (Saturday). Rain and cold. Not great weather to stage a 5k but off to Conrad School of Science to time and manage their annual 5k. 66 finishers.....15 no shows........and who knows how many planned to join us but decided to sleep in due to the weather. I was fortunate to have some good help today. Thank you volunteers. I came home ....entered the results in my software and posted on my website. Photos were next....all done. So now what? Barb is visiting her parents in State College. Masters golf is on but not till 4pm. So whats a guy to do? Grab a beer and start surfing the tube.....that's what. I'm in hi def channels and find that the 2008 Ironman from Kona is on. Wow! Talk about being inspired! 2.4 mile swim, 116 mile bike and 26.2 marathon run. Most don't realize that for many the marathon takes place in the middle of the day and we are talking Hawaii. Temps in the mid 80's. The show highlights some of the participants. A navy seal, a cancer survivor, a young guy with one leg, a 72 year old women finishing her 17th consecutive Ironman. The women's winner who broke the marathon record by over a minute something like 2:58. The men's winner who ran the marathon in 2:45. So many stories to tell. You sit there and say to yourself, "wow.... I am impressed." The one line that stands out is the athlete who lost his leg at 8 years of age in a farming accident. He said, "loosing my leg gave me other opportunities." Talk about positive attitude. There is something to learn here. Just take a minute to think about it.